Expanding the Frontiers of Science
AWARE Ultra-Resolution Wide Field of View Camera
Engineers from Duke University and the University of Arizona are collaborating on a DARPA funded program to develop an ultra-resolution camera with a 120 degree FOV. The camera system prototype achieves this large FOV and 1 giga-pixel resolution by overlapping and stitching together the images from 98 micro-cameras arranged in a geodesic pattern. The new camera design has the potential to capture up to 50 giga-pixels of data.
In order to test the new camera system, the engineers turned to Newport's Motion team to design and develop a custom measurement system. An Azimuth-Elevation gimballed mirror mount precisely relays images from the camera's DLP (Digital Light Projector) chips to a telescope mounted to the motion system. The system's 0.1 micron absolute positioning performance allows the engineers to accurately check for the proper image overlap between each of the micro-cameras.
At Newport, our mission is to develop and deliver photonics technology and products that expand the frontiers of science and improve our world. Our vision is to be the world's premier source for photonics technology and products. We offer the broadest portfolio of photonics products in the world, which are used everyday by scientists, researchers and engineers.
Every day, Newport products:
- Help researchers to advance the fundamental theories of physics and chemistry
- Enable scientists to discover new approaches to treat disease
- Support astronomers in understanding and exploring the frontiers of our universe
- Facilitate the manufacturing of smaller, faster and more cost effective semiconductor chips that power the word's electronic devices
- Make our world safer by supporting applications in sensing and security
- Enable a wide range of precision applications in some of the world's largest industries